Don’t get me wrong. I love bassets. I have six of them currently filling my house (three in the kitchen as I write). But there are something things you need to be aware of if you’re thinking of being “owned” by a basset.
- Their coat stinks, especially when it rains
- They sometimes prefer the sofa to a long walk.
- They stop listening if there’s an interesting smell on the ground.
- They shed hair all year round
- They’re capable of stealing frozen minced meat from the kitchen counter, even if they look close to the ground.
- They hate having their nails clipped (in my experience!)
- Their ears collect more dirt than you think is possible
- They have a tendency to howl early in the morning when you least expect it
- They view the “come” signal as a request that can be ignored, even if treats are involved
- They know how effective those sad eyes can be to manipulate their owners
Do you have something else to add to the list?